As an Affiliate for Amazon and other companies, I earn from qualified purchases.
In this Post: Ali and Beca talk about their journey of being massage therapists while also being parents in Podcast “Episode 002: Work/Life Balance for Massage Therapists with Kids.”
“Align with The Massage Business Mama” a Podcast Brings You
Episode 002: Work/Life Balance for Massage Therapists with Kids
Work-life balance for holistic practitioners. As two moms, we know firsthand the challenges that present when trying to balance work with parenting. In this episode, we offer solutions that have worked for us in creating ease in these competing roles.
8 Actionable Tips for Finding More Balance in Your Dual Roles
1) Tech is Your Friend –
Utilize apps on your phone. We always have our phones on us, take advantage of this device to simplify your life by finding apps that can help you be as organized as possible.
Here are some of the apps we have found useful:
MindMeister – Organize with mind-mapping. Through utilizing mind-mapping, you have a place to organize your thoughts, priorities, and self-care. This can help give you a visual to guide you through your roles.
Keepy – This is a place to digitally memorialize your child’s artwork without having a suitcase full of artwork taking up space under your bed.
2) Be Clear –
Be clear with your employer and clients about the priority that your family takes. Avoid ambiguity by communicating in detail what your wants and needs are.
3) Quality versus Quantity –
All the priorities in your life don’t need the same level of care at every moment. By being truly present with whatever activity you are engaged in at the time, you can have higher quality interactions. When you are at work, be at work. When you are at home with your kiddo, be at home with your kiddo.
4) Guilt-Free Downtime –
Step away from your family, step away from your business to carve out time for yourself. Avoid the guilt merry-go-round of torture, instead conserve your energy and enjoy self-care. Whether it’s 15 minutes or 50, fill your cup so that you can be more present for your clients and children.
5) Limit Client Hours –
When you become a parent, you don’t have the same kind of time or flexibility to dedicate to giving massage. Learning how to create a schedule that works for your family can feel scary, but it is worth it!
6) Raise Your Rates –
Pretty simple concept. The more you charge, the fewer hours you have to work. Which means more time to be the parent you want to be!
Check out: How to Raise Your Massage Rates
7) You Don’t Have To Do It All –
Pick and choose the activities with which you participate. Instead of stretching yourself thin, choose to participate in quality activities, and let go of the rest.
8) Use Your Time Wisely –
Don’t let the time between sessions get wasted by mindless activities. Instead, make sure that you are getting busy with business-related tasks. This way, you can leave work at work.
Hopefully some of these suggestions resonate with you as you work towards simplifying your roles.
For More Related Posts Check Out:
Listen here: Episode 002: Work/Life Balance for Massage Therapists with Kids
PS. We are still working out the audio kinks. We feel confident that our sound quality will improve in the future as we dial in our editing software and microphones. Please be patient as we work out these technicalities.
- Boulder College of Massage Therapy Graduate
- Nationally Certified through NCBTMB
- Colorado Licensed Massage Therapist
- Certified CranialSacral Level 1 through Upledger
- Certified Herbal Therapist through Nutrition Therapy Institute
- Certified Fujian Massage through Barefoot Masters
- Fort Lewis College - Majored in Art, Minored in Business Administration
- 6 Year Winner of Best Massage Therapist for "Best of The Boat" Competition
- Massage Business Owner Since 2008
- Fresh Out Of Massage SchoolMobile Massage in Weeki Wachee, FL with Emily Attard
- Book ReviewsPodcast Episode 036: Healing The Spirit and Balancing The Autonomic Nervous System
- Kids and CareersPodcast Episode 035: Working While Pregnant As A Massage Therapist
- Fresh Out Of Massage SchoolPodcast Episode 034: How To Give A Client-Centered Massage